Every car owner would agree that it is nice to have a Jeep, especially if you are into off-roading and having other outdoorsy adventures in the warmer seasons.
At some point, all Jeep owners eventually have to decide on which top their car will have. It probably will become the most vital decision an owner has to face.
Owning a Jeep is unique since you have the option to install and remove the vehicle’s top. According to surveys, owning a hardtop is more beneficial and practical than owning a soft top.
In this article, we will have a more intensive understanding of what it takes to own a Jeep hardtop.
Over at automotivegearz.com you can find out about more parts for your jeep wrangler, including the brightest headlights.
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using hardtops?
Although the soft tops have come a long way, it still won’t provide you with the same comfort as a hardtop during the changing seasons.
The hardtops’ construction ensures that the drivers and passengers feel comfortable in the warmer and colder months. It is a necessary accessory, especially during the winter, when it can get extremely cold. In summers, Jeep owners always have the option to enjoy the refreshing breeze; all you have to do is to remove your Jeep’s hardtop.
2. So, what exactly is a Jeep hardtop hoist, and how beneficial is it for the owners?
- A Jeep hardtop hoist is a pulley system that can be used by a single person to install and remove your hardtop. It mostly takes less than an hour to install or remove your hardtop, with minimal effort. You won’t have storage issues, too, especially if you have a spacious garage. All you need are a few wooden dollies for your hardtop and hoist’s storage. A decent article from carinmydna.com about Jeep roof hoists provides a comprehensive guide for buying roof hoist.
- Hardtops usually last much longer than a soft top as they are made from more durable materials. They are made from light, yet very sturdy materials. It also tends to give your vehicle a more traditional “car” feel since it has a welded-on roof. The car will have better insulation with a hardtop because it is sealed well. This insulation also means that the car will be quieter, giving the driver and passengers a better sense of privacy.
- Another reason why the hardtop is popular among the Jeepers is that it has a much longer lifespan than the soft top. Hardtops are well-known to last for more than a decade. The soft top, on the other hand, needs to be replaced after 2 to 4 years. Jeepers feel more secure with the hardtop because robbers cannot just cut through it. If you tend to be forgetful, your valuables will be much safer if your vehicle has a hardtop. Imagine the light materials that a soft top is made of! It is so easy for a robber to cut through it and steal your valuables. Hardtops might be more expensive, but it is worth the investment.
- Keeping your Jeep clean and well maintained could be a little challenging sometimes, especially after having a long off-roading adventure. Most Jeep drivers go to a car wash, but if you are someone who wants to clean your car manually, then a typical car cleaner would be excellent. You can also wax your hardtop. The painted surface won’t be harmed. Keep in mind that most Jeep hardtops are made from fiberglass, so harsh cleaners should not be used for maintenance.
The only disadvantage a Jeep owner has to deal with
One downside of having a hardtop is the difficulty of installing and removing it. If you look online, quite a few Jeepers have complained about this ordeal. For those who don’t have a hardtop hoist, installing and removing the hardtop could be quite frustrating. In some instances, two to three people might have to work on the entire installation or removal process. Therefore, a hardtop hoist becomes an essential tool for a Jeep owner.
3. Essential aspects that you should know before buying a hardtop hoist
Below are some essential aspects to consider before you purchase a hardtop hoist for your vehicle:
Available space and suitability
Firstly, you have to check the space of your garage. You have to consider the storage space of your garage for both the hoist and Jeep hardtop.
The hardtops come in different shapes and sizes, so check your vehicle’s model and specifications before deciding on which one to purchase. You cannot just get a hoist, not even the more convenient electrical hoist. It is essential for your car hardtop and hoists to be compatible, or else, you will just be wasting time, effort, and money.
Now you should be aware that when you purchase the wrong hoist, your hardtop will end up damaged. Chances are, the hardtop might just be dropped while you are trying to install or remove it.
Check your physical strength as well as the tool’s capacity.
Understanding a hardtop hoist weight capacity is also vital before purchasing anything. Some hoists might not be capable of handling the weight of your hardtop. Some mechanical hardtop hoists can support as much as 300 lbs. You also have to check your physical strength if you wish to purchase a mechanical hardtop hoist. If you feel confident that you can pull at least 200 pounds, then the more affordable mechanical hardtop hoist will be excellent. Mechanical hoists are great for owners who have one or two more family members or friends to assist them with installing and removing the hardtop.
How excellent are your mechanical skills?
You also have to consider how good you are in working with tools. Some hardtop hoists can be a little challenging to install. If you aren’t that great with tools, then the more expensive yet convenient electrical hardtop hoist would be best for you. With this, you won’t be too bothered with installing the hoist system.
In conclusion, it is always best to do more research on Jeep hardtops and hardtop hoists. Spending time on reading online reviews on which hardtops to purchase is still a wise decision since it will have a significant effect on how comfortable you will be with your car.