Share:

" />
Published On: Sun, Apr 16th, 2017

Aftershock of US’ Use of GBU-43B Bomb Splits Afghanistan’s Political Establishment

nsnbc : The aftershock of the United States use of the 21,600 pound GBU-43B bomb against ISIS-K tunnels split the political establishment of Afghanistan wide open.

USA_21,600 Pound GBU-43B BombThe use of the GBU-43B bomb against tunnel networks of Afghanistan’s Islamic State franchise ISIS-K resulted in the destruction of three tunnels, weapons, munitions and reported death of 93 to 95 ISIS fighters.

However, the use of the largest non-nuclear bomb also nicknamed Mother OF All Bombs (MOAB) has exacerbated political tensions in the war-torn country.

Deputy Chief of Staff of the Afghan National Army, General Murad Ali Murad, said the use of the bomb sent a clear signal also to foreign powers supporting ISIS.

Ironically, it were not only Saudi Arabia, but also the United States that “dropped the bomb” were among the midwifes of the global terrorist menace that calls itself the Islamic State a.k.a. ISI, ISIL, Daesh, Wilayat Sinai, and in Afghanistan ISIS-K.

Afghanistan_Nangahar_MOAB_Apr 2017However, General Murad said the strike in Mohmand Dara was a serious requirement and the militants of ISIS offshoot, ISIS-K. He noted that ISIS-K militants have suffered heavy casualties in the strike. General Murad also stressed that operations against ISIS-K insurgents in the vicinity of Achin district continue.

Referring to the death of “at least 95 militants” he claimed that the militants probably suffered many more casualties and that clearance operations that would reveal the death toll were still underway. He added that the exact number would be released later.

General Murad also justified the use of the massive bomb saying that no civilians suffered any casualties and that the use of the bomb resulted in the elimination of the strategic hideout of the terrorist group in Nangahar province. The bomb was dropped around 7:30 pm local time on Thursday. Tribal elders from the region reportedly gathered after the airstrike, welcome it and reportedly urged further strikes to clear the province from ISIS-K militants.

Abdullah Abdullah "You are fired".

Abdullah Abdullah “You are fired”.

Daud Asas, a national security adviser to Afghanistan’s Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, criticized the use of the massive bomb. Subsequently the office of Abdullah Abdullah issued a statement saying Daud Asas has been fired because of his “irresponsible remarks”.

The statement further added that Asas was fired based on a decree issued by Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, emphasizing that the government will fight against all terrorist groups without any distinction.

Former President Hamid Karza, for his part, met with the Russian Ambassador to Afghanistan on Saturday evening in his office, only hours voicing his stern opposition against the US military for the use of massive bomb against the ISIS militants.

During his last months in office Karzai refused to sign the currently valid Afghan – US status of forces agreement that gives U.S. troops in the country carte blanche for operations that have not been authorized by and coordinated with the Afghan government.

Hamid Karzai and Russian Ambassador_Apr 2017_AfghanistanThe office of the former president issued a statement saying that the Russian Ambassador briefed Karzai regarding the latest regional summit hosted by Moscow regarding the Afghan peace process. Karzai stressed that the only way to ensure peace and stability in the country would be through Afghan-led negotiations.

The ex-president praised Moscow for its initiative regarding the Afghan peace process and stressed that in his opinion, war and use of weapons will be in the loss of the Afghan people.

Earlier in the day, Karzai had vowed to step up efforts in a bid to oust the US military from the country following the massive airstrike in Achin Nangarhar against ISIS terrorists involving the non-nuclear 21,600 pound GBU-43B bomb.

Karzai blasted the current government for allowing the US forces to carry out the strike and insisted that the move would be a national treason if the government had approved the use of the massive bomb. He also raised questions regarding the increased US airstrikes against ISIS now, and political motivations, saying “Why has the US waited for two years before it started bombing Daesh?”

CH/L – nsnbc 16.04.2017

About the Author

- nsnbc international is a daily, international online newspaper, established in 2013. nsnbc international is independent from corporate, state or foundation funding and non-partisan. nsnbc occasionally republishes selected articles from other media. Republication of articles does not imply that we agree with media's editorial policy. nsnbc international is free to read and free to subscribe to. We appreciate and depend on modest donations from our regular readers; such as the equivalent of the price of one print newspaper per month.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>