Israel Will Annex 93 % of the Palestinian West Bank
Christof Lehmann (nsnbc), – On Sunday, 29 December, Israel’s Ministerial Committee on Legislation approved a bill to annex the Jordan Valley of Palestine’s occupied West Bank. The bill shall ensure that the region remains within Israeli sovereignty even if an agreement with Palestine is reached under the ongoing, US-facilitated, talks or any other agreement in the future. A closer look reveals that there is nothing new in the proposed bill, and that neither of the two major Palestinian factions are likely to respond by implementing a policy that is consistent with the liberation of Palestine.
The bill has been proposed by Member of Israel’s Parliament (Knesset) Miri Regev and has been supported by eight Ministers from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party, Yisrael Beitenu and Habayit Hayehudi, reports the Israeli news agency y-net. The sponsor of the bill, Miri Regev, is a former Brigadier General of the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and a former military spokeswoman. The y-net news agency quotes Interior Minister Gideon Sa’ar as saying:
“There is no divide between settlement and security. The Jordan Valley is consensus for the citizens of Israel. Never mind – let them know the Jordan Valley will be Israeli under any final agreement”.
The bill has been appealed by Israeli Justice Minister Tzipni Livni, Finance Minister Yair Lapid, and Science and Technology Minister Yaakov Peri, reports y-net. The news agency quotes Justice Minister Tzipni Livni as saying:
“I have no respect for the proposal and its backers who are weakening themselves. By supporting this bill you are essentially giving up on the government’s authority to make decisions on important issues. … The government is tying its hands and the hands of the Prime Minister. … A profound debate must be held on such issues. You can’t ratify such populist proposals… which cause great damage to the State of Israel and render it isolated in the world”.
Y-net quotes Science and Technology Minister Yaakov Peri as saying that the bill was provocative and “proposed to gain publicity, and nothing else”. Y-net quotes the Palestinian chief negotiator, Dr. Saeb Erekat, as saying that the approval of the bill is destroying the efforts of US Secretary of State, John Kerry, to advance the peace process.
Plans for Permanent Annexation of 93 % of West Bank - Meanwhile, it is worth noticing that independent media and analysts have reported about Israeli plans to permanently annex the Jordan Valley and other parts of the Palestinian West Bank, as well as East Jerusalem and the Israeli occupied Syrian Golan along with parts of Southern Lebanon for a very long time. To mention but a few examples of reports in independent media:
- On 7 July 2012, nsnbc quotes nsnbc editor-in-chief Christof Lehmann, citing a Palestinian intelligence expert as saying: The prognosis indicates a permanent displacement of most Palestinians in the West Bank, the permanent annexation of the occupied Syrian Golan, the permanent annexation of parts of Southern Lebanon, and the establishment of a Palestinian Micro Emirate in the Gaza Strip.
- On 28 March 2013, the editor of the International Middle East Media Center, IMEMC, Saed Bannoura, reports in an article, also published in nsnbc international: In documents released on Thursday to the High Court of Justice, the Israeli government has admitted what Palestinians have been saying for decades: that the Israeli government has taken over 99.3% of the West Bank, allocating most of the land to illegal Israeli ‘Jewish only’ settlements.The Israeli designation of 1.3 million acres of Palestinian land in the West Bank as ‘Israeli state land’ flies in the face of past Israeli claims that they are willing to negotiate in good faith with the Palestinians on the status of land in the West Bank.
Both major Palestinian Factions controlled by foreign Interests – It is also worth noticing, that readers of independent media, as compared to readers of corporate, state, party, and foundation funded media worldwide, including Palestine, will be aware of the fact that both of the major Palestinian factions, the Fatah of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, and the Hamas faction led by Khaled Mashal, are strongly influenced by foreign interests. Both have been playing into the hands of the Zionist and Western neo-colonialist agenda. To mention but a few of the reports:
- On 18 June 2013, the editor in Chief of nsnbc international reported that the Hamas faction, led by Khaled Mashal, which is strongly influenced by the government of Qatar, has officially sided with the Zionist, Gulf-Arab and Western agenda against Syria. It is worth noticing that Syria is the only Arab nation which consistently has supported the cause for the liberation of Palestine.
- On 19 November, the Director of the Canadian Centre for Research on Globalization, Michel Chossudovsky, warns in an article on the death of Yassir Arafat, that P.A. President Mahmoud Abbas has been installed with both US and Israeli consent. Chossudovsky states, among others: What recent news reports fail to mention is that the extra-judicial assassination had been ordered by the Israeli cabinet in 2003. It was subsequently approved by the US which vetoed a United Nations Security Resolution condemning the 2003 Israeli Cabinet decision to “get rid of Arafat”. … The assassination of Yasser Arafat had been on the drawing board since 1996 under “Operation Fields of Thorns”. Chossudovsky concludes, that the assassination of Arafat was meant to foment divisions within Fatah as well as between Fatah and Hamas, stating that: Mahmoud Abbas is a Palestinian quisling. He was installed as leader of Fatah, with the approval of Israel and the US, which finance the Palestinian Authority’s paramilitary and security forces.
- On 19 January 2013, nsnbc international published an article in response to a press release from the Palestinian Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP). In the press release, issued on the 11th anniversary of the imprisonment of PFLP Secretary General Ahmed Sa’adat, the faction demands that the Fatah-led Palestinian Authority under PA President Mahmoud Abbas ends the “security cooperation” between Israel and the Palestinian Authority. During a visit to Denmark, the wife of the PFLP Secretary General, Abla Sa’adat, told nsnbc international editor-in-chief Christof Lehmann and others who were present at a meeting, unequivocally, that the Palestinian Authority’s intelligence had entrapped Sa’adat, and that top-level PA and Fatah officials took part in organizing the arrest of Ahmed Sa’adat. After his arrest by Fatah / PA “Security Forces”, Sa’adat was first imprisoned in a Palestinian prison, under US prison guards; He has since been transferred to an Israeli prison.
The so-called Security Cooperation between the Fatah and Mahmoud Abbas led Palestinian Authority is, in other words, an instrument for the control, incarceration or assassination of any opposition which threatens the status quo.
The status quo is the controlling, of any genuine, popular resistance, against the long planned, jointly implemented colonization of the Palestinian West Bank, East Jerusalem, the Israeli occupied Syrian Golan, and parts of Southern Lebanon.
Jordan Valley Annexation Bill an Embarrassment, more than a Security Concern – When Israel’s Justice Minister Tzipni Livni responded to the bill that authorized the permanent annexation of the Jordan Valley, by saying:
“I have no respect for the proposal and its backers who are weakening themselves. By supporting this bill you are essentially giving up on the government’s authority to make decisions on important issues. .You can’t ratify such populist proposals… which cause great damage to the State of Israel and render it isolated in the world”.
… her true concern is not that it would violate international law to annex any part of the occupied territories under any circumstance. Livni’s concern, is that the bill weakens the government, which is successfully implementing precisely the same policy but with one difference.
It is done with the business as usual security cooperation approach, and without stirring up so much public, international outrage, that the step by step colonization, in cooperation with the USA, the EU, and the foreign controlled factions within Hamas and Fatah become too much of an embarrassment.
If things were to go according to the plans of the likes of Livni et al., it would be much wiser first to sign an agreement that allows an Israeli and/or US presence in the Jordan Valley until the subversion of Syria succeeds.
After that, the presence of Israeli troops can be justified because of the “terrorism threat” from the very al-Qaeda in Syria, which the USA and Israel, along with Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey have been supporting since 2011.
Meanwhile, there is ample time to construct so many “settlements” in the Jordan Valley, that the world will ultimately be confronted with the fait accompli.